Story by Kyle Larson
R&S Racing Photos
CASSOPOLIS, Mich. (August 14, 2014) – After Troy DeCaire earned his
second victory during the 2014
Auto Value Bumper to Bumper
Super Sprint Series at Illiana (IN) Motor
Speedway on August 2, the Winged
Sprint Car series is in the
middle of a 29 day break.
SuperSprints.com takes a look at
the top season performers and
some news & notes in the 19th
season of racing.
- Jason Blonde - 1,038 Points
- The Five-time champion
is closing in on his sixth
series crown and second
consecutive. This season he has
notched seven top-five finishes
along with a division leading 11
top 10s. Top finishes for Blonde
this year include runner-up
finishes at Angola (5/31),
Toledo (6/14) and Dixie (6/27).
#2 - Kevin Feeney -
- The 2010
champion has produced another
consistent season ranking second
in the points. The Oxford,
Mich., veteran has notched
10-top finishes aboard the Marv
Carman Motorsports No. 61. His
best finish took place at
Kalamazoo in the second event of
the season, flashing across the
finish line in fourth spot.
- Davey Hamilton Jr. - 927
- In his first full season of Winged Sprint Car racing, the High School
Student has put together an
impressive season. The third
generation racer has posted
seven top fives and 10 top 10s
in only 12 starts. Davey's best
finishes are three third-place
finishes at Kalamazoo (6/7),
Toledo (6/13) and Toledo (7/2).
He was unable to start two
features. The first occurred at
M-40 Speedway on June 14 when
axle failure sent the No. 60
hard into the outside retaining
wall during practice. In the
next event at Dixie on June 27,
mechanical issues during
practice forced the team to
withdraw and head back to
Indianapolis before racing.
#4 - Jo Jo Helberg -
- The California
racer has started nine of 12
events with six feature
victories and nine top-five
finishes. His wins this year
include Kalamazoo (6/7), M-40
(6/14), Dixie (6/27), Toledo
(7/2), Winchester (7/4) and M-40
(7/19). In the three King of the
Wing, Jo Jo wheeled his familiar
Helberg Motorsports No. 7 while
during the AVBBSS he has been
driving for Steve Smith
- Tom Geren - 709 Points
- One of the lowest budget
efforts in the series has
notched two-top 10 finishes this
season. Best performances have
included a ninth place at Dixie
on June 27 and 10th at M-40 on
#6 - Teddy Alberts -
- Two top 10s and one heat race
win. Top feature performance has
been seventh at New Paris.
#7 - Troy DeCaire -
- Three feature wins taking
place at M-40 (6/14) and Illiana
(8/2). Scored eight top fives,
lowest finish has been fourth.
#8 - Joe Swanson -
- Three top fives
and five top 10s with best
showing of second at Kalamazoo.
#9 - Mike Astraukas -
- Limited schedule this season
with four top-10 finishes.
#10 - Ron Koehler - 421
- Oldest driver on the circuit
has notched two top-10 finishes
with best of eighth at New
News & Notes:
- With driving into the winner's circle at the half-mile oval of Toledo Speedway on June 14 during the World's Fastest Short Track Show, Ryan Litt has 11 career wins and is tied for eighth on the all-time list with Hurrin' Hank Lower.
- 17 drivers have won heat races this season with Jo Jo Helberg topping the list with four wins. Drivers that have scored three wins include Jason Blonde, Kevin Feeney and Troy DeCaire
- Seven drivers have earned Hamilton Trucking Fast Qualifier Awards with Helberg topping that list with five. Ryan Gillenwater has notched two with single fast times being won by DeCaire, Jeff Fuller, Kyle Edwards, Ryan Litt and Aaron Pierce.
- When Jerry Caryer scored the victory at New Paris, he became the 62nd driver to earn a feature victory in the 19 year history of the series.